Inclemement Weather Information
Into each life a little rain must fall... and sometimes it turns to snow and ice. Campus Transit does its best to be there for you when the foul weather strikes. In the event of stormy weather the following policies are applied:
- When the decision is made to close the University of Georgia for inclement weather conditions, Campus Transit will operate vans and busses for one hour after the official closing. Campus Transit may continue to provide on-campus transit services beyond that time as road and weather conditions allow. The ability to operate in a safe manner will be the primary consideration when determining whether service can be provided.
- Notifications regarding the service level being provided will be made available on the transit website, www.transit.uga.edu. In cases of closure, daily updates will be posted to this website.
- In case of a TORNADO WARNING, Campus Transit services will cease to operate. Drivers will be instructed to pull their vehicle over immediately and evacuate to the nearest Tornado Shelter. Services will resume as quickly as possible when the "ALL CLEAR" signal is sounded.
- For the official status of the University in case of inclement weather, refer to the UGA home website.
University of Georgia bus drivers take pride in their ability to prevent many accidents each day, thus making Campus Transit one of the safest systems in the nation. You can help prevent injury by following these safety tips:
- Stay back from the curb until the bus comes to a complete stop.
- Cross the street behind the bus. This helps you to see, and be seen by other motorists.
- Do not walk between two stopped buses. The buses sometimes roll back slightly when the brakes are released.
- When driving another vehicle, do not pass a stopped bus unless you are in a passing zone.
- If you ride a bicycle, skateboard, or roller blades, don't hang on to the rear of the bus or follow too closely. The bus may stop unexpectedly.
Your driver is a fully-trained, professional bus operator. For your safety and that of others, thank you for observing the following:
- Be ready to get on or off the bus when it stops. Drivers are instructed not to open the doors again once they begin to re-enter traffic.
- Drivers are instructed to load and unload at bus stops only.
- If standing, please move to the center of the bus. Drivers are instructed not to move the bus with people standing in unsafe locations on the bus.
- To prevent injury to yourself or others, if you are traveling with a stroller or other wheeled device, be sure to lock the wheels or maintain control of your property while the bus is in motion.